Monday, May 25, 2009

Welcome Home Noah

Monday 25th May We have had a rocky few days. On Thursday I went in to feed Noah and spoke to Chad about his eye he is immediately organized for the optometrist to come down. Funny thing I had asked the nurse in the morning and she had said “I was seeing things” I asked when the optometrist was coming and the nurse got angry and said not today as she was too busy. So I left at midday and come home for Rachel’s 6th birthday. I got a phone call about 3pm from the doctor saying they had been and didn’t know what the cloudy part of his left eye was and the specialist would be down Friday and I needed to be there at 9am. In my mind I was not worried thought it might be a cataract or something. Friday morning I was there at 9am for the specialist. She came and looked at Noah and first. The procedure was horrid they put an anesthetic in his eye ball then force the eye open with metal forceps she calmly told me that Noah had a condition for his eyes where they had not developed properly and he would have no use of his left eye and his right eye was likely to be affected as well but not as severe. I was shocked I felt like I was going to pass out and I ran out to sit down. I came back after sitting with a friend and trying to acknowledge what she had said. She explained he would need ongoing tests for glaucoma but at the moment all was ok. She also stated it could be an infections but the chances were very very low but we would try some anti biotics anyway and I was too see her again in 1 week. The diagnosis is Peter Anomaly I rang Aaron straight away and told him to come in. the rest of the day is blur I don’t know what to think or feel. We were still booked for the bub and mum unit for the weekend. Friday night we went to Aarons party at his mums was nice to relax a bit but I felt so bad for my little boy.

The unit was nice and cozy was lovely look after Noah ourselves. We had bitch of a nurse for the 2 days who made it very clear Noah is not ready to go home. She made sure we felt horrid and when Noah wouldn’t settle in the middle of the night I called the nurse to come in and wept about the nurses comments. We made it thru the weekend with the knowledge when we get home all will be much better. He did well and put on 100grams in the 2 nights. So we arrived home today very tired as Noah was very unsettled over night. So far he has slept since we have been home and feed well with breast then gavage feed. I will explain later what we do etc at the moment am trying to get organized and read up on his diagnosis

No comments: